Wednesday, May 20, 2015

UK Vegan Reviews: Fry's Family Golden Crumbed Schnitzel

   I've been trying quite of a few of the Fry products out recently because my local Morrisons has started stocking them, I've never had Fry products before until recently the other day when I bought the chicken nuggets and today when I bought these the '4 Golden Crumbed Schnitzels' 

I'll be honest I didn't know what to expect with this product since I've never eaten a schnitzel all I knew was that it was German - the packaging wasn't actually that informative on what they actually were but I decided to go ahead and buy them anyway later finding out that they're a 'vegan chicken substitute'.

I decided to have them for my dinner with savoury rice and despite the packaging saying cook for 10-12 minutes in the oven I recommend cooking them for 20, they're less greasy this way and crispier, when I got them out of the packet they resembled turkey steaks so I popped them in the oven and after 20 minutes I served them with my rice and sat down for dinner. 

They tasted slightly peppery and I loved the crispy exterior and the soft centre - the taste and texture of which reminded me of the sausage in a sausage roll. Below is a close up picture of the schnitzel.





Overall 

This product is great if you're looking for something quick and easy but I don't think they were that good, don't get me wrong they tasted nice but they definitely don't live up to the hype. I will be buying this product again but not that often, they have 446 mg of sodium per schnitzel which was a definite down side for me as well as 11g of fat per schnitzel and I'd be more inclined to buy them more if those amounts was lower however they are a frozen schnitzel so you can't expect their nutritional content to be outstanding (I have pasted below the nutritional table from their website below). Another thing that I wasn't too keen on was the fact that after eating these on two separate occasions they made me really bloated and uncomfortable something I've heard a few others suffered with aswell.

I give this product a 3/5 

If you would like to find out more about this product or the other products in Fry's range then head to their website www.frysvegetarian.co.uk





No comments:

Post a Comment